Sunday, January 27, 2008

Our Dear Prophet

President Gordan B. Hinkley passed away tonight at the age 97 years. I have come to appreciate and adore this man who will always hold a special place in my heart. He was not only the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, he was the greatest exemplar of love, compassion and dedication as a follower of Christ.
I happened to be at a Youth fireside for our Stake tonight when I received a text from Robbie giving me the news of his passing. It took me by surprise a bit as we had just started the meeting and I was texting one of my girls asking why she wasn't at the fireside, I thought it was her texting me back. I was saddened by the news, but knew it was surely a bitter sweet time that was inevitable as he had lived such a fulfilling life and was growing weak with age. He has touched sooo many people with his spirit of enthusiasm and zeal for life and the gospel of Jesus Christ.
As the fireside proceeded, it was then towards the end that I could see the news slowly making it's way around the room. Tears began to flow, sniffles from the front, back and side to side continued to become contagious to the point that several of the youth had a hard time controlling their emotions. The Young Women sitting in front of me where comforting one another through hugs. If only I could have taken a picture of the moment, it was sweet and surreal. It was emotional! It then brought me to many thoughts; this was the only prophet they have ever known and loved! President Hinkley has made a huge impact in the lives of the youth and will forever be imprinted in their hearts and minds. There was no better place to be tonight as we all felt the spirit of our Heavenly Father, reflected on the Savior and remembered our Dear Prophet together.

No comments: